Experienced Attorneys, Aggressive Representation

Where Do Car Accidents Happen Most?

August 6, 2020Car Accidents

Car accidents are, by nature, unpredictable. However, there are certain places where car crashes occur on a more regular basis. Knowing these patterns can help reduce the risk of an incident. In this article, we cover a few common accident scenarios and what you can do to avoid becoming a statistic.


It may sound surprising, but the majority of car accidents happen close to home. In fact, a Progressive Insurance study from 2004 found that approximately 52% of all accidents occur within just five miles of a person’s home. The same study also found that a total of 77% of accidents take place within 15 miles of a driver’s home.

This is partially explained by our brain’s propensity for going on “autopilot” when we are driving familiar routes. It’s important to maintain our vigilance even when driving our most familiar routes. Since serious accidents can and often do occur near home, always buckle up and stay alert. Another reason for the statistic is that around our homes is naturally where we most often drive.

Rural Roads

Many people think a large number of accidents occur in urban areas, but statistics show far more fatal accidents take place on rural two-lane roads. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that nationwide six out of ten highway deaths occur on rural roads. When traveling on rural routes be mindful of the speed limit and exercise extra caution. Be mindful of slower or stopped cars ahead, as well as unexpected hazards such as wild animals.


Around 15 percent of fatal car crashes occur in intersections, the remaining 85 percent take place on open roads. However, many car crashes (non-fatal and fatal) do take place in intersections as a result of improper left turns, violations of traffic laws, speeding and distracted driving. Accidents that take place in intersections are often classified as T-bone crashes, which tend to cause more serious injuries, including whiplash, hearing damage, broken shoulders, head trauma and internal injuries.

What should you do if you’ve been injured in a car accident?

The first thing to do is call for the assistance of police and/or ambulance. Your health is the greatest priority, so consider being checked out by a medical professional even if you don’t have an obvious injury. Injuries like concussions, whiplash, internal injuries and others can be serious but not immediately apparent. Better safe than sorry when your health is at stake. If you feel you’ve been injured in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence, contact us immediately. We can help you get compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering. For a free case evaluation, call or text our St. Louis car accident attorneys today at (314) 888-1000.

Free Consulation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Recent Articles