Every year more than 17,000 U.S. children make a visit to the emergency room because of a school bus related accident. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over half of these incidents involve another motorist. The size alone of a typical school bus can turn any minor traffic accident in to a severe one resulting in personal injury or death.
While it is fact that school buses are one of the safest options to transport children to and from school. The bigger question is how can we protect our children and prevent additional casualties from occurring? October 22nd-26th is National School Bus Safety Week. Take this opportunity to educate your children on how to use seat belts as well as how to safely board and exit their school bus.
Tips to Keep Children Safe around School Buses
- Walk with children to and from the bus stop. Wait with them until the bus arrives.
- Teach kids to wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before entering or exiting.
- Do not walk behind the bus for any reason.
- Drivers should always follow the speed limit and obey school zone markings.
- When driving be prepared to stop if you are approaching a school bus that has flashing yellow or red lights.
School bus accident cases can be complex and it is recommended that if you or a loved one is hurt or killed in a car accident, you consult an experienced school bus accident attorney who has both the knowledge and resources to help you. At Goldblatt & Singer, our goal is to advocate for the rights of accident victims so that they can receive justice and maximum financial compensation. To learn more about our firm and how we may be able to assist you, reach out to us today.
We've earned the trust of over 25,000 clients over the years, and we are confident that we will earn yours.
Toll Free: 844-4-STL-LAW